Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Triple Layer Chocolate Mousse Cake


Since this is such a good cake and I was posting it for family, I thought I would post it for my friends too! Enjoy!

Triple Layer Mousse Cake

2 cups granulated sugar
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
Chocolate Mousse (recipe follows)
Holly leaves (optional)
Sugar frosted cranberries (optional)
Melted sweetened or bittersweet chocolate (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease three 8 inch round baking pans and dust with unsweetened cocoa.
2. In large bowl, combine sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. With electric mixer at medium speed, beat 2 minutes. With spoon, stir in boiling water slowly. Batter will be thin.
3. Pour batter evenly into prepared pans. Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
4. Meanwhile, prepare Chocolate Mousse; use to fill and frost cooled cake layers. Drizzle with melted chocolate and garnish with holly leaves and frosted cranberries. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving. Cover and refrigerate leftover cake.

Chocolate Mousse

1 envelope unflavored gelatin
2 Tablespoons cold water
1/4 cup boiling water
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 cups (1 pint) heavy cream, chilled
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1. In small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over cold water; let stand 1 minute to soften. Add boiling water; stir until gelatin is completely dissolved and mixture is clear. Cool slightly.
2. In large, chilled bowl, stir together sugar and cocoa; add heavy cream and vanilla. With electric mixer at medium speed, beat until stiff peaks form, occasionally scraping bottom of bowl. Pour in gelatin mixture; beat until well blended. Refrigerate about 30 minutes before using. Makes about 4 cups of mousse.

We are famous for making this cake and it is frequently a request for us to bring at various events. It sounds like more work than it really is and it is the best chocolate cake ever!

Happy baking and eating!!!

5 comments:

Melanie said...

It is the very best chocolate cake ever. I want it for my birthday this year. Do you think Travis is up for making it for me? hehe

Erica said...

Ooooh. I want it for MY birthday this year. I should just put an order in and have you make it. Pete can pick it up.. Hahaha. I don't think he's up to making it..

Laura Lee said...

Hmmm....too busy salivating over the cake to notice the side bar? Check out the new link! hahahaha

Melanie said...

Awesome Mom!!! I love it! hahahahahahahaha

Erica said...

My. Favorite. New. Blog. Hahahahhaha.