Tuesday, June 05, 2007

It's all about the possum...


So, I'm quilting with my friend Elaine on Wednesday and we are talking all about possums. She told me this funny story about a night with her friends where they kidded her about them and they all discussed the 'correct' way to cook a possum. That led to Elaine making up an eloquent poem about possums and the correct way to obtain and cook them. Funny, funny poem if I do say so myself! Well, mind you, this is while we are making our 'Dear Jane' quilt and had just been bashing the psychos who wonder what 'Dear Jane' was thinking whilst making her quilt and how they journal all about their 'Baby Jane' (apparently it's a real no no to name your own quilt 'Dear Jane'!) We said we would have to journal about possums and nonsense since we never talk about such deep stuff while we are quilting and weren't sentimental or psycho enough about our own 'Dear Jane' journey!

Now, fast forward to Saturday. I told Dad I would go with him when he went to a baptism he had to attend and that I would go to Walmart while he was at the church. He said he had a gift card for Walmart that they gave him at work and handed it over. He didn't know if it was a $10, $25, or $50 card but that I could use it. I asked him if he got it for a good safety record, which is usually why he gets them. He said no, he got it for KILLING A POSSUM!!! No kidding! I about died laughing! Well--that possum was a $50 dollar possum! He said he whacked it with a hoe. Apparently they thought he had done a good job killing it and had some gift cards left over from something and just gave him one! How funny is that!? Elaine cracked up laughing when I told her about it and said it wasn't necessarily a 'gamely' 'proper' way for obtaining a possum, but since we didn't cook it, it would be fine!

5 comments:

Erica said...

That is still the funniest story EVER Mom! But.. your possum picture didn't show up!!

Laura Lee said...

Now it shows up!

Travis said...

Hey, we should call Kent - "Big Possum". From now on, his name is "Big Possum"

Melanie said...

That is actually a pretty gross story. haha

Krista said...

It's good to see what's going on here at the Laura Lee and Big Possum Blog. hehe...funny story, and may I say INSANE quilting project! Good luck, I would totally lose interest about half-way through...anything that takes me very long usually doesn't get finished without a strict and potentially embarrassing deadline...a blessing for instance...good luck! It is going to be awesome!