Here is a little something I picked up on Saturday at a local garage sale. I'm super excited about it! Kent and I looked up the serial number on it and it was built in 1895. To put a little perspective on it, that is when Mark Twain was alive! Wow! It's never been electrified and looks like the original belt in the drawer. The fancy box is called a 'coffin box' and covers the machine when it is not in use. I have never seen a coffin box with a machine before this one and thought maybe it was a matching sewing box. A previous owner had bought the replacement belt in 1995 and it was still in the package in one of the top drawers. There are also a few old wooden spools in the middle drawer.
I think this machine is in GREAT condition and it is only missing minor tiny little pieces of the brass drawer pull assembly on the inside of a couple of the drawers. One of the local antique stores carries spare hardware and will probably have the parts we need to complete the assembly. We will probably go looking for them this coming Saturday. I'm excited to let my grandchildren make some doll clothes using this machine! Kent's mom had a similar machine my girls used to sew on and they loved making doll clothes with it. It will be fun learning how to sew using the treadle to keep it going! Yay!!! Thanks Kent! (It was an early birthday present.)

No comments:
Post a Comment