Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Matha Stewart Living



So, I got my MS Living magazine yesterday and I just thought I would tell you all it is one of my ALL TIME FAVORITES!!! hahaha I am TOTALLY going to make every single cake in that issue next year! What a good idea! And...next time Melanie is here I want her to organize my junk drawer just like the one in the picture! And furthermore, I found my dream couch in that issue and Dad even likes it too!!! hahaha Wonder of wonders! So, if you don't subscribe to the magazine, GO BUY IT! Do it for the cakes! What a good "Martha" project! Are you in Krista?

15 comments:

Melanie said...

Yeah, I'm totally making all of those cakes. And by the way, I said I was making the cakes first. Mom's a copy cat! haha Just kidding. I'm a little unsure of the fruitcake though. I think I'll have to make it just to say I've made them all, but I think I'll have more fun decorating it than eating it! I'm really looking forward to the February mousse cakes though!!

Laura Lee said...

I think you could "cheat" and put in golden raisins, currants, or dried cranberries instead of the nasty candied fruit and it would count as the same. I think that is what I'm going to do!

Laura Lee said...

Actually, I looked at the recipe and it looks like you could make it just like she says and it would taste good. It doesn't have the traditional fruitcake fruit in it. Speaking of fruit, one of our local quilt shops is having a sale--30% off any fruit or cooking themed fabric if you bring in a fruitcake! How funny!

Dan said...

I'm not in for the cakes, but I would sure be IN to EAT them. Send one my way.

I by the way we loved the music box thingy.........I can't think of the other word, but I know you had something to do with it because it came from California. It's really nice and yes, Tammy cried when she opened it, but I controlled my emotions. Great gift. We put it in our bedroom so we could see it more often and play it at night.

Krista said...

Hey! I want to make cakes, too!! I really am starting to wonder if I can get Martha Stewart to send me her magazines here in Taiwan....hmmm....and I do get my little mini convection oven next month...so I can totally start doing some real baking!!!! Do they have the recipes on the website??

Laura Lee said...

Go to the magazine front page on her web page and she has a link to the contents of the January issue. There is a link to ALL of the cakes! Look at them and the ingredients and see if there is something you may not be able to get in Taiwan and maybe someone can send you a care package! We will have to pick a day of the month to post our pictures of the cakes we make to see how they all turned out. It will be so much fun!!!

Krista said...

Okay, I just checked out all of the cakes...and obsessively read all of the recipes. I think that for the most part I can get what I need here. There are a few things...like the stuff you would have to get at the whole foods website might be hard to procure...but then again, it would be difficult to procure them in the US. So I think I am all set to do January!! When are we gonna do it? Do you think I have to use the special lemons and lemon juice, or will any old lemons do? Oh, and we have to do it after the 15th....maybe during Chinese New Year...then I would not only have time, but Brian to keep Madi busy. Hmmmm....I'm getting really excited about this!!

Krista said...

Oh! And maybe you know...I've never used a convection oven, so if you have, you are probably going to have to talk me through it.

Laura Lee said...

We just sent Melanie some Meyer lemons from our tree that her dad was very proud to be able to send to her! hahaha We both think that any lemon would actually do. The Meyer lemon is a very sweet mild lemon, so you would just get a bit more of a tart taste to your cake if you used any lemon. We are also scaling the recipe down for our family and I think we will only make one or three of the "lemons" on the top of the cake.

Also, to further the challenge--like we need to do that--it is also all about PRESENTATION, a la "Martha!" How funny is that?! We'll call it "Iron Chef Martha!"

You can make your cake any time during the month, but your picture HAS TO BE POSTED the very last day of the month. It IS NOT a competition, but will just be fun to see how everyone did!

I can hardly wait!!! Maybe we can all be on the new Martha show! hahaha

Laura Lee said...

Oh yeah, I've never used a convection oven either. I think it is a more even heat and the food gets done faster so you just have to watch it closely! Try out a regular cake first and see how it does.

Dan said...

You people are hiliarious

Laura Lee said...

I think we have 6 people now that are joining in the challenge: Me, Melanie, Krista, and my friends Amy, Tevya and Stacie! I think it is going to be a riot! I'm probably going to make mine for the 15th or the 22nd. Melanie should get her lemons any day now!

Angela said...

I want to make the cakes too. Count me in!! My cake will be awesome!!!

Laura Lee said...

You're in!!! Now we have 7!

Angela said...

The Lemon cake for this month looks really hard. I'm going to do what you're doing though and scale it down. That is quite the cake. The others don't look as difficult. Hopefully I can do it. I got this aweosme cake decorating kit for christmas...now I just need to take the classes at Michaels like Melanie.